Almost back
Well, thanks to great gifts from my parents and cousin Daniel, I went to my first hot yoga class today in a month! I took it VERY easy, rested on the second set of every posture, but it felt great to get back into it. I'm clearly very weak still, and it was weird, my balance was the thing I struggled with the most. Probably lost some muscle while I was sitting around.
I needed the yoga class after the feast of this weekend! Time for a serious detox. Had a fabbo weekend with the Keegans in DC. Family dinners, two babies, suite at the Capitals game and lots of great fun. Love every last one of them with my whole heart!!
Interesting ponderable while I was there. I grew up in Montana, which was great, couldn't have asked for a better place to grow up. But now that I'm a grown up, living there isn't what I choose. I haven't lived there in more than 11 years for more than a summer break or vacation, I have lived in two major cities and a university since leaving there and haven't (other than my parents of course) kept really close ties there. Yet, other than people I know exclusively from NY, I am constantly reminded that I am "from" Montana. I have lived in NY for 4+ years now and if you ask me, I would answer that I am "from" NY, yet I'm usually introduced as Anne from Montana who lives in NY. No one introduces my parents as Chuck from DC who lives in Montana or Jean from Wisconsin who lives in Montana, they're Chuck and Jean from Montana. So my ponderable is what does it take to establish your own life choices as the ones that are mentioned? When does that switch happen? If I buy an apt? If I get married to a New Yorker? My Mom always says "home" is where your underwear drawer is and my underwear drawer is decidedly in NYC. Perhaps I'll change the name of my blog in an effort to start the process. :)
I needed the yoga class after the feast of this weekend! Time for a serious detox. Had a fabbo weekend with the Keegans in DC. Family dinners, two babies, suite at the Capitals game and lots of great fun. Love every last one of them with my whole heart!!
Interesting ponderable while I was there. I grew up in Montana, which was great, couldn't have asked for a better place to grow up. But now that I'm a grown up, living there isn't what I choose. I haven't lived there in more than 11 years for more than a summer break or vacation, I have lived in two major cities and a university since leaving there and haven't (other than my parents of course) kept really close ties there. Yet, other than people I know exclusively from NY, I am constantly reminded that I am "from" Montana. I have lived in NY for 4+ years now and if you ask me, I would answer that I am "from" NY, yet I'm usually introduced as Anne from Montana who lives in NY. No one introduces my parents as Chuck from DC who lives in Montana or Jean from Wisconsin who lives in Montana, they're Chuck and Jean from Montana. So my ponderable is what does it take to establish your own life choices as the ones that are mentioned? When does that switch happen? If I buy an apt? If I get married to a New Yorker? My Mom always says "home" is where your underwear drawer is and my underwear drawer is decidedly in NYC. Perhaps I'll change the name of my blog in an effort to start the process. :)

6 Comments:
First of all, I'd like to tell you I'm happy you keep your underwear in New York.
I think everyone else is so enamored with MT that they like to claim they know someone from there. ;) I think you definitely qualify as a NYer. I always refer to you as such.
I agree with Anne. It is pretty cool to be from Montana (not too many are) and I think people see it as a fun fact. As she said, however, you are a New Yorker for sure! I will be sure to refer to you as such.
BTW, your Mom hosted an awesome shower for Eliz. We missed you, though...
"Home is where your underwear drawer is." Jean Keegan. What you need is to break the habit of people introducing you as from MT. What you need is a comeback: "No, my underwear drawer is actually in New York."; "Depends on what "from" means"; "Montana, oh Montana. Population under 1 million. Fourth largest state in the union. Capital-Helena. I'm actually FROM NY."; "Montana is SO far away--just say I'm from NY". Or, you could, gently of course, tell the offender that it offends you and ask to be introduced as YOU prefer. Ball's in your court.............
Thanks ladies! You're all the best!
Tia- I SOOO wish vacation schedules would have allowed me to be there, but I heard it was quite a party!
Oh, don't worry. I just meant we missed you, I would never expect you to make an expensive trip for the shower!!
I know, but I like to make special trips for special people when I can. And there is no one specialer (is that a word??) than our girl Elizabeth! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home