Sports are meant to be fun!
So as everyone knows by now, the Packers lost in a heart breaker yesterday. :( I made a bet with one of my coworkers, Mike, who is an Arizona Cardinals fan that whoever won would get taken out to lunch by the loser and the loser would have to wear the jersey of the winner at said lunch. So today I came in to my office to find a red Matt Leinart jersey slung over the back of my chair. So being the good sport that I am, I congratulated Mike and his team and we've had a little back and forth all day. We haven't decided when our lunch will be, but I will proudly wear the jersey while we dine.
Now, I was just talking to another coworker who said to me, "You know what, you are certainly handling this with a lot more grace and dignity than Mike ever would have had you won!" I said, thanks and that he had surely been dishing it out today. But it makes me think, I LOVE sports, have traveled all over the place to attend games, cheered on my team with such ferocity that I have no voice the next day, but the day I can't handle a loss with grace and dignity or more importantly, the day it stops being anything more than a FUN game, is the day I stop watching!! Sports are meant to be fun, they're not meant to throw people into funks for weeks/months/years after a loss. They're meant to evoke fond memories of past glories and blind optimism that no matter how bad your team did this time around, next season could be your season! So to the rest of the NFL playoff teams still in it, good luck. Packers Super Bowl in 2011!!!
Now, I was just talking to another coworker who said to me, "You know what, you are certainly handling this with a lot more grace and dignity than Mike ever would have had you won!" I said, thanks and that he had surely been dishing it out today. But it makes me think, I LOVE sports, have traveled all over the place to attend games, cheered on my team with such ferocity that I have no voice the next day, but the day I can't handle a loss with grace and dignity or more importantly, the day it stops being anything more than a FUN game, is the day I stop watching!! Sports are meant to be fun, they're not meant to throw people into funks for weeks/months/years after a loss. They're meant to evoke fond memories of past glories and blind optimism that no matter how bad your team did this time around, next season could be your season! So to the rest of the NFL playoff teams still in it, good luck. Packers Super Bowl in 2011!!!

3 Comments:
Well said, Anne. I couldn't agree more! You have a healthy attitude about it all that I hope can be contagious!! Go Packers in 2010-11!
Completely agree! Love enjoying sports, and shrugging it off when it doesn't go my team's way!
As you know, I have been a Green Bay Packer fan for 60 years. Not all seasons were winning seasons, but DO remember SuperBowl I and SuperBowl II. (We showed the boys HOW to play the SuperBowl.) I have never wavered in my fan-status--through thick and thin, good players and bad, good coaches and not-so-good, good management decisions and rotten I have ALWAYS had it in my heart--BAD--for the GBPs. I consider it to be somewhat akin to marriage: first time the hubs forgets to pick up his socks or take out the trash, you don't file for divorce. There will be better days for the hubs, better seasons for the team. Love 'em anyway. Ride the highs and make it through the lows--such is life and sports. <3 GO PACKERS! <3
Post a Comment
<< Home