Saturday, October 01, 2005

My first night out

I had my first night out in NY tonight! YAY! It was very fun. Kenin was in town playing at the Tribeca Rock Club so I headed down there at about 9:30. I took the subway, the A train from Columbus Circle (59th street) to Chambers street (below 1st street) and my first funny experience happened on the way down. I'm sitting on the train, and a gentleman stands up and says "Ladies and gentleman, I'd like to share something with you. I am from Louisville, Kentucky and I used to work for Philip Morris. I used to make cigarettes. Do you know what they put in cigarettes? Tar, nicotine, iodine.....etc. God bless you all, please don't smoke." He repeated the ingredients a number of times. I certainly felt inspired not to smoke.
Then I got to the club, Kenin wasn't there, so I had to pay. that's ok, it was only $10. So then I got inside, sat down and watched the band that was on before Kenin. Right before they went on, the 2 gals sitting next to me introduced themselves. There was Jenn and Kirsten. We were instant friends, well Ok, Jenn and I were. She works in publishing in NJ (the company that publishes the "for Dummies" books!!) and I think we're going to continue to be friends.
Jenn and I took the subway home together because neither of us wanted to go alone, but neither of us wanted to pay for a cab either. On the subway ride home, I saw these 4 kids (it's 1am mind you) riding ALONE on the subway. They couldn't have been more than 12 but they talked like they were 25. The piece of conversation I heard went something like this: "so she's going to get off at 180th (that's in Harlem) and then we'll get off at 188th, and then we'll go by your house, and then meet her out at her house" "Oh no she won't get off at 180th, I will not let her get off this train by herself at 180th!" Well duh!! Who were these kids' parents!? They were wearing hoochie mama outfits complete with huge hoop earrings that were bigger than their heads! This is a completely different world here.
All in all, it was a great night. Fun concert, cool new friend, great people watching!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your funny story. Especially the part where he repeats the ingredients! It's just like he's crazy or something.

I'm happy you're having such fun! I want to come visit you.

Tadd

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy Howdy, this is NOT the way we do things in Montana. I TOLD you to be careful in NYC--I know all about it from watching NYPD and Law & Order. [ (((: ]

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having lots of fun and getting fashion tips to boot, Big B. Who's Kenin??? Hey, MA - showing MY age?
How did it take you 6 HOURS to get your stuff into that tiny little space - were you just really, really slow or did the stacks of stuff keep falling over on you?
NY must be like being at a never-ending movie(you can believe about 1/2 of what you see and can't imagine the rest is real?).

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOps! I'm not really anonymous, just kinda dumb.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home