Thursday, June 21, 2007

dodgeball: the last stand

ok, if anyone thought the last 2 weeks stories were ridiculous, get ready for this one! So this week was the most important week of dodgeball yet, the playoffs. Our team finished 5th in the league and were top contenders for a great playoff run. We get out there for our first match and we're kicking butt. We easily win the first game. They put up a better fight in the second game and won that. So the third was for the victory!! We're cruising along winning that game when all of a sudden one of the guys throws one hard at me and it his me at a weird angle in the hand bending my thumb all the way back and completely dislocating it. So I'm obviously out but the hit itself didn't hurt so much so I didn't realize what happened right away. So as I'm walking off I look down at it and realize it's bent all the way back. I grab it with my other hand and pop it back in and then realize that it REALLY hurts. My team went on to win that game and move on to round 2. Well done Ball Busters. So I go out of the gym and my good friend Laura Meredith, RN (always good to have a medical professional on the team) takes charge. She sends one guy out for ice, another out for a first aid kit, positions me in front of the fan (people told me I was green at this point and I really thought i was about to pass out it hurt so much) and tries to calm me down. We get some ice on it, get a big dose of Advil in me and then she rigs up a splint with a tongue depressor all before the next game. Unfortunately, all the chaos was too much for the Ball Busters and, with me on the bench doing my best to cheer them on, lost to the eventual winners of the whole league in the next round. A wild and crazy ending to a fabulous season of dodgeball. The shots at the bar helped the pain in my finger tremendously but today is another story. it does NOT feel good. Good thing I'm close to having a job, dodgeball has become hazardous to my health!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you poor baby---one could not jam anymore into a season. MB

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steps for Injury Treatment
1. R est--Splint or buddy tape
to prevent movement
2. I ce the area
3. C ompression (to minimize
swelling)--pretty hard for
a thumb
4. E levation
5. C all a medical professional
to discuss care and whine.
(Think I'll try Mom, R.N.)
6. T ry someone else (Uncle Mike
is a doctor, maybe he'll be
more compassionate than MOM
[which stands for Mean Old
Mother])
7. W ait for Dad to come home--
he'll not only listen, but
do an injury-by-injury
comparison

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, what a way to go out of the season, BB! Youch! What's new on the job front, ya slacker?

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home