Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dodgeball

So tonight is the last week of dodgeball and for the whole season, one of our players, JP has been sending out motivational emails to the team. Today's was the best yet, so I thought I'd share. The Rich Coster who he's referring to is none other than the Rich on our team. Enjoy!

JP Shand gave his famous "Win One for the Coster" speech to Ball
Busters players in between the last two regulation games of the 2067
Party Dodgeball NYC season. Shand was trying to salvage something from
his worst season as coach of the Ball Busters (a position assumed
after his retirement thirty years earlier). To inspire his players he
told them the story of his final conversation with the legendary Rich
Coster; although historians believe it is doubtful that Shand's
version of Coster's words was true, the Busters did win their next
game against the next generation of Sweatpant Boners.

More importantly, the story became solidified into popular culture
after its recreation in the 2093 movie, JP Shand- All American. The
phrase "Win One for the Coster" was infused into the lexicon of
American society, and later became a rallying cry for political
campaigns, sports teams, and business associates alike. Here is the
transcript of the dialogue from the movie that begins one hour and
seventeen minutes after the showing of the MGM logo:

Well, boys and girls... I haven't a thing to say.
Played a great season...all of you. Great season.
(Shand tries to smile.)
I guess we just can't expect to win 'em all.
(He pauses and says quietly.)
I'm going to tell you something I've kept to myself for years --
None of you ever knew Rich Coster.
It was long before your time.
But you know what a tradition he is at Party Dodgeball NYC...
(There is gentle, faraway look in Shand's eyes as
he recalls his words.)
And the last thing he said to me -- "JP," he said - "sometime, when
the team is up against it -- and the breaks are beating the boys and
girls -- tell them to go out there with all they got and win just one
for the Coster...
(Shand's eyes become misty and his voice is
unsteady as he finishes.)
I don't know where I'll be then, JP", he said - "but I'll know about
it - and I'll be happy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home