Monday, October 15, 2007

Fruit flies

I'm waging a battle with an invading army of fruit flies. I've got my defenses in line and am in full on attack mode. My plan of attack is three pronged. Well, actually four pronged as my first move was to eat all the fruit. But, now that I've done that, here are my strategies:
1. They like wine, so I've set out bowls with a bit of white wine in them. I put a teeny bit of diluted dish soap in the bowl as well which kills them when they slurp up the wine.
2. I've taken slices of bananas (before I ate the rest of them) and put them in the bottom of a glass. Then I put saran wrap over the glass and poked little holes in the saran wrap. The flies smell the bananas and go through the holes but can't figure out how to get back out. Then when I have a decent collection of invaders, I take them outside and let them go.
3. I take them on MANO A MANO. I get my bottle of Seventh Generation cleaning solution and spray individual unsuspecting flies while they are sitting on the cupboards. Their wings are saturated, they're rendered flightless and WHAM, I squish them. That takes a lot more effort though, I really have to hunt them as individuals and while they are definitely annihilated when I squish them, it is slower going than the other methods.
Now, I've learned that a certain amount of patience is required when battling fruit flies. They like to get closer and closer to my traps, congregating on the edges of the bowl and glass until finally they go through the holes or get stuck in the wine. I think they're testing the waters to make sure that I'm not coming after them as they make their approach. So I just have to sit back and wait. As we all know, I have TONS of patience, so it's quite easy for me to fight them.
Ok, this post MIGHT be more ridiculous than the tortilla chip one.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite a plan-perhaps the US military could use ou in their planning sessions. i missed the chips can you retell the tale?

11:27 PM  
Blogger Anne K said...

Check 2 posts down. It was a brief post, but very definitive.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another tactic that I've found to work is to use a lint roller. You know, the sticky rollers? I had one sitting on my counter one time and the flies were dumb enough to fly into it. They stick and then that's the end of them. Then, just peel, rip and you're ready for the next round!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Lewinkydink - you are so very smart! Where, oh where did those brains come from???

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home