Great dinner story!!!
Ok, here it is....
So there is a restaurant in the city called Per Se. It is one of the nicest in the city and evidently you have to make reservations months in advance. Well, I was having dinner with my former boss from MSNBC last night and we were in the Time Warner Center and she asks what restaurants are there and I say well there's Per Se but unless you made reservations in May, we won't get a table. So she wanted to see it anyway, so we go up there and she says "Hi I'm Catherine Captain, I have an 8:30 reservation for two." So they look and look but they can't find it (yeah funny they couldn't find it cause we definitely didn't have a reservation). So they shuffle us over to these couches in the bar and sit us down for a few while they look. We each order a $35 glass of champagne. Then the manager comes over and introduces himself and says he's terribly sorry but he can't find the reservation. Catherine says, well I don't know what could have happened, I know my assistant confirmed, she is usually very thorough, etc. They exchange business cards and he goes back and looks one more time. He comes back and says the same thing but that they don't have a table, unfortunately because their dinners are 3 hours long, etc. He asks if we can come back tomorrow but Catherine is leaving in the morning so can't make it. So he says why don't I make a reservation for you all at one of the other restaurants downstairs, they're all very good. So we say, great. Hopefully we can come back here soon but that will be fine for tonight. It's like 8:45 by this point. He goes to make a call and comes back and says, ok you have a 9:30 reservation downstairs at Gray Cafe...a nd I know that is 45 minutes from now, but we're going to take good care of you here in the meantime. So the first thing he does is bring out the bottle of champagne and fill up both of our glasses again (we ended up having 3 glasses of $35 champagne each). Then he brought out FOUR different appetizers! Some cheese puffs, salmon stuff, gourmet chips and dip and candied almond things. Some of the most delicious food I've ever tasted. So then it's 9:30 and we're getting ready to go to our other dinner and we say, what do we owe you? And they say, Oh, it's all on us tonight, please come back and see us again, we're so sorry for the misunderstanding. So in our estimation, we were able to weasel at least $400 worth of food and drink from them. $35 EACH for 6 glasses of champagne and at least $30 per appetizer they brought out. Plus a tip on top of that. It was pretty awesome. So then we go downstairs and have a great meal at the restaurant where we probably should have just gone anyway after stuffing ourselves with some of the most delicious appetizers I've ever tasted from Per Se.
So there is a restaurant in the city called Per Se. It is one of the nicest in the city and evidently you have to make reservations months in advance. Well, I was having dinner with my former boss from MSNBC last night and we were in the Time Warner Center and she asks what restaurants are there and I say well there's Per Se but unless you made reservations in May, we won't get a table. So she wanted to see it anyway, so we go up there and she says "Hi I'm Catherine Captain, I have an 8:30 reservation for two." So they look and look but they can't find it (yeah funny they couldn't find it cause we definitely didn't have a reservation). So they shuffle us over to these couches in the bar and sit us down for a few while they look. We each order a $35 glass of champagne. Then the manager comes over and introduces himself and says he's terribly sorry but he can't find the reservation. Catherine says, well I don't know what could have happened, I know my assistant confirmed, she is usually very thorough, etc. They exchange business cards and he goes back and looks one more time. He comes back and says the same thing but that they don't have a table, unfortunately because their dinners are 3 hours long, etc. He asks if we can come back tomorrow but Catherine is leaving in the morning so can't make it. So he says why don't I make a reservation for you all at one of the other restaurants downstairs, they're all very good. So we say, great. Hopefully we can come back here soon but that will be fine for tonight. It's like 8:45 by this point. He goes to make a call and comes back and says, ok you have a 9:30 reservation downstairs at Gray Cafe...a nd I know that is 45 minutes from now, but we're going to take good care of you here in the meantime. So the first thing he does is bring out the bottle of champagne and fill up both of our glasses again (we ended up having 3 glasses of $35 champagne each). Then he brought out FOUR different appetizers! Some cheese puffs, salmon stuff, gourmet chips and dip and candied almond things. Some of the most delicious food I've ever tasted. So then it's 9:30 and we're getting ready to go to our other dinner and we say, what do we owe you? And they say, Oh, it's all on us tonight, please come back and see us again, we're so sorry for the misunderstanding. So in our estimation, we were able to weasel at least $400 worth of food and drink from them. $35 EACH for 6 glasses of champagne and at least $30 per appetizer they brought out. Plus a tip on top of that. It was pretty awesome. So then we go downstairs and have a great meal at the restaurant where we probably should have just gone anyway after stuffing ourselves with some of the most delicious appetizers I've ever tasted from Per Se.

4 Comments:
Maybe the food costs so much because people keep coming in with fake reservations and getting free food! Just kidding. Nice work! :)
Oh, that Catherine!
That IS a "great story"!! I really laughed...
P.S. In coming years, when Poppie is doing crazy stuff, this story can be the answer to Catherine's querie, "Where'd THAT come from?!?!"
Post a Comment
<< Home