Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lewis...this one's for you!

Today I saw not one, but TWO glaring typos in public signs. It always baffles me how people can send a sign through approval processes, graphics people, designers, printers, and whoever else has to look at them without ANYONE noticing this typo. On one sign, there were only two words, and one was misspelled. That one was on a "Crunch" and a HUGE sign over the main entrance to the gym said "No Judgements." There's no "e" in judgment!! It's one of those words in the dictionary that has a "variant" spelling because so many people misspell it, but really, there is no "e!"
The second was even more ridiculous. Cosi sandwich shop (which has the most delicious Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil sandwich by the way) always has a little something cutsie scrolling across the registers that aren't open. Today's said "If their is no sun...then it is night!" Ok, 1. That isn't even cute, it's just stupid! and 2. I had a hard time typing the "their" in that because it is so glaringly wrong.
Just a pet peeve of mine, we all know how to use a dictionary, or even ASK SOMEONE who knows if everything is spelled correctly!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I aggrre, especcially if peopple go to collegge they shoulde be abel to spell correcttly. My gooddness. Some poeople

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my husband! :)

Keegs, I am honored that you dedicated a blog posting to me and our lifelong pet peeve.

(Please omit the notion of tax for the following story.)
The one that gets me the most is when signs say "0.10 cents". Use the decimal point or use the cent sign. Either is acceptable. BUT DON'T USE BOTH OF THEM TO REFER TO THE SAME NUMBER. I dream to one day walk into one of those places and say, "I'd like 10 of those." Then I'd put a penny on the counter and walk out.

One of my high school teachers (Frau Graf) actually argued with the manager of a fast food establishment to get the advertised 0.10-cent hamburgers. She won too!!

Stick to your guns to improve the grammar and spelling of our society!!!!

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a burden to be a good speller AND a polite person at the same time.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keegan, you've made my little grammer nazi......Sorry, Anne - Stickler(!) very happy with this blog.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home