Thursday, December 22, 2005

Strike Watch: Day 3

We're still on strike here. There is good news though, the TWU and MTA have agreed to go back into negotiations, and it looks like the transit workers might go back to work. However, that still means that as soon as they agree to go to back to work, there will be at a minumum 16 hours before the trains start running again. They have to make sure all the cars are still safe, all the tracks are safe, all the vending machines are working, all the metro card machines are working, all the station managers are back, etc. So since I am leaving town tonight at 8:45, I will get no relief.
Here is my adventure from yesterday:
5:30 PM: leave work and walk from 5th ave past, Madison Ave., Park Ave., Lexington Ave. and 3rd Ave. to 2nd. (remember the lesson from transit watch: day 2, that ave blocks=5 regular city blocks so that was a hike)
5:55 PM: arrive at the corner of 2nd Ave. and 50th St. just in time to catch the NBC bus scheduled to get there at 6:00
6:45 PM: Still standing on the corner waiting for the NBC bus.
6:55 PM: The NBC bus scheduled for 6:00 FINALLY arrives and I get on.
7:30 PM: The bus has only traveled from 50th street to 30th street. I'm trying to get to the 14th street stop.
7:45 PM: We arrive at 23rd street, the first stop for the bus. I bail out and walk to the bar on 2nd Ave. and 10th St.
8:00 PM: I have a drink and nachos in front of me. FINALLY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home