9/11 in New York: Final story
I had a moment at ground zero yesterday that was literally right out of a movie. Even though 2 of my friends were down there when I got there, I walked around by myself for about 45 minutes and listened to my ipod and took photos of everything I saw. I had gotten past all the amazing photos they put up and was over on the other end of the fence. I saw 2 sheets of 8 1/2x11 paper with photos and a story about a police officer on the fence. I started reading it and it was an amazing story. He had been a police officer and also an extra on the opening of NYPD Blue. So he was about to retire from the police force to pursue a new career when 9-11 happened. He bought a polo shirt with an NYPD logo on it from a tourist shop and headed down to help people. When he got there he helped people out of the north tower, even while the south tower was collapsing next to him. One woman in particular had severe chest pain as she was trying to get out of the north tower and he stayed with her helping her until the tower came down on both of them. No one ever heard from either of them again.
So as I read his story, and totally lost it, another police officer came up next to me and said, "He was a really great guy. He was a friend of mine." I replied, "You were lucky to have known him." Then he said, "Yes, I was. He was as tall as I am! (He was about 6'5") Quite a presence." And then he walked away. Literally, it could have been a scene in a movie. The whole thing could have been.
So as I read his story, and totally lost it, another police officer came up next to me and said, "He was a really great guy. He was a friend of mine." I replied, "You were lucky to have known him." Then he said, "Yes, I was. He was as tall as I am! (He was about 6'5") Quite a presence." And then he walked away. Literally, it could have been a scene in a movie. The whole thing could have been.

3 Comments:
Thanks for being our window, Anne. I can't begin to imagine the emotions that run through you when you are right where it all happened. Five years doesn't do much to diminish it, does it?
I have been moved to tears 4 memorable times in my life. The first two were at the births of my daughters--how tiny and beautiful and perfect they were. Another time was when I stood at "The Wall", the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC. Its simplicity is powerful and provoking. The fourth time was at Ground Zero; I was a tourista--no special day or time, but my first visit as a witness to 9/11/2001. That void is also powerful and provoking; our hope is the beams of light. God Bless America.
Thanks for sharing, Anne. Very moving... For those who can't be in New York, we appreciate your being our eyes and ears.
Post a Comment
<< Home